Sunday, September 30, 2007

Gianduja Gelato with Stracciatella

I remember every so often when I was younger, my parents would buy a jar of Nutella. What a special treat! I would spread it on bread and enjoy a Nutella sandwich. So delicious. This ice cream, another one from The Perfect Scoop, is kind of Nutella-esque. I used pre-chopped hazelnuts because that's all I could find. I discovered that my local Walmart carries Green & Black chocolate bars, so I used their milk chocolate which is 34% cocoa. This was delicious - just the right mix of hazelnut and chocolate. I made stracciatella out of Baker's bittersweet chocolate because that's all I had. I usually use Baker's for cakes and brownies and it has been fine, but for melted chocolate it wasn't that good. I think I'll use Ghirardelli bittersweet from now on. I just layered the stracciatella into the ice cream as I put it into it's container, but I think next time I'll try to mix it into the ice cream maker towards the end of churning. This one is more labor intensive that the other ice creams I've made, but it is a nice treat for every now and then.

No comments: