Saturday, January 19, 2008

Malted Milk Chocolate Ice Cream

One of my favorite things about going to a Cubs game at Wrigley Field (yes, more than actually watching the game) is getting a frozen chocolate malt and eating it with a wooden spoon. Ever since I started making homemade ice cream, I have wanted to recreate that dessert. This was my first attempt. I looked online and found this recipe on the Desert Candy blog - I think what got me was the pictures of it. It looks just like the stuff at Wrigley! Alas, it didn't quite recreate the taste I was going for. I think a lot of it had to do with ingredients - the only cocoa powder I had was Nestle and Hershey's, neither of which are very good cocoa powders. I used the Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa - which is way too dark. Instead of a pleasant, light brown color, my ice cream ended up very dark brown. I know that doesn't affect the taste, but it affected the entire experience of the ice cream for me... so in a way it did affect the taste. Anyway, I also didn't have any milk chocolate so I used bittersweet chocolate instead. The taste of this ice cream was okay, but not great, and nothing like what I taste when I put that little wooden spoon into that frosty paper cup of goodness at Wrigley Field. I may try this again now that I have better quality cocoa powder (Droste) and some Green & Black milk chocolate.

No comments: