Thursday, February 28, 2008

Roasted Asparagus

Roasted asparagus doesn't really go with arroz caldo, but I bought some asparagus on a whim this week and what better day to eat it than yesterday? I followed a recipe in the Joy of Cooking. Roasting the asparagus on high heat gives it a delicate flavor. My hubby said that the heads tasted like pumpkin seeds (which was a good thing). I'll make this my go-to asparagus recipe. Here it is, paraphrased:

1 pound of asparagus
Olive oil
Parmesan cheese, grated
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit. Trim the ends of the asparagus. Place in a shallow baking pan in one layer. Drizzle olive oil onto the spears. Roast for 8-10 minutes, until they are getting tender but still a little firm. Transfer to serving dish and season with salt and pepper. Top with a little Parmesan cheese.

No comments: